The Center for Rural Health Development – Flu Vaccination Campaign
(TV, Radio, Outdoor, Website, Social Campaign)
At LMC, we love a good challenge. Even more so, we love working with clients to find a solution to their challenges that works for them.
Working with non-profit organizations is a big part of what we do at LMC. Our location in rural West Virginia allows great opportunity to work with great organizations whose missions are to better the communities we live, work, and play in. One of the non-profit organizations LMC partners with is The Center for Rural Health Development (CRHD), an organization that works to improve the health of West Virginians and strengthen West Virginia’s health care delivery system, especially in rural communities.
It’s no secret that 2020 was a unique year for most organizations, and CRHD was no exception. With the spread of COVID-19 and a looming influenza season, it was more important than ever to get individuals to get their flu shots.
With funding made possible through the West Virginia Immunization Network (WIN), a statewide coalition that envisions a future in which all West Virginians will be protected from vaccine-preventable diseases, CRHD needed a marketing strategy to build top-of-mind awareness in West Virginia and ultimately get community members to receive the influenza vaccination. In the fall of 2020, it was incredibly important to inform individuals of the risk of contracting COVID-19 and the flu at the same time. A campaign was developed to bring attention to this dangerous developing situation.
LMC began working with CRHD in 2019, assisting them with social media management and strengthening the CRHD brand while highlighting their many programs. Because of LMC’s strong partnership and experience with CRHD’s brand and voice, LMC responded to CRHD’s Request for Proposals for the West Virginia Immunization Network’s Influenza Vaccination Campaign. Once LMC was awarded the RFP, we were quick to hop in and assist with this challenge by developing a campaign with a primary objective of increasing influenza vaccinations.
We began by drafting a marketing plan that would attract CRHD’s target audiences for this campaign with objectives and tasks built to ensure their goals were met.
Our multi-faceted plan consisted of these projects:
- Conduct an Assessment Study – In order to assess existing audience knowledge, LMC suggested using primary market research to develop messaging and build a more strategic campaign. In addition to helping build the campaign, market research would also be used to measure the effectiveness of marketing efforts.
- Develop Branding Campaign – LMC provided creative concepts and rationale for the suggested paid media and social media campaigns designed to create awareness of the need for the influenza vaccine as well as increase West Virginians’ intent to receive the influenza vaccine.
- Custom Website Landing Page Design – To do this, LMC suggested that a customized landing page be built on the wvruralhealth.org website to direct individuals to. The landing page showcased creative campaign elements, educational blog pieces, a toolkit for health care professionals, and included an embedded “Vaccine Finder” which gave visitors the ability to search for influenza vaccine providers in their area.
- Video Work Plan Development, Production Coordination – Because of the incredibly personal decision vaccination is, we knew we needed to inspire this audience and tell a story. A work plan was drawn up for a video shoot, which had the theme of ”EveryOne Adds Up”- a dual meaning regarding social responsibility and herd immunity. A :30 broadcast spot would be produced with several 0:15 – 0:60 social media cuts edited to help support the campaign in partnership with our friends at Mtn Craft Productions.
We wanted to capture these main points:
You take many steps to protect ourselves and those you love
Vaccination not only protects you, but those around you
The influenza vaccine is just one more thing you can do to keep safe
- Implement Strategic Paid and Organic Social Media Plan – Once the video was fine-tuned and approved, LMC was able to focus on developing and implementing the paid and organic social media plan consisting of paid media, search engine marketing, and social activities. The objective of this social plan would be to drive advertising and social communications to the campaign’s landing page in order to measure specific click-through actions. To control the flow of information and to educate the target audience strategically, LMC suggested using a content matrix using a mix of media such as blogs, videos, testimonies, etc. This would not only create content but allow LMC to strategically distribute it through a flow starting with inspiration and entertainment to education and finally convince individuals to receive the influenza vaccine.
- Create Earned Media – LMC worked with CRDH to develop a custom statewide media distribution list to increase awareness and education of the flu vaccination campaign through several different forms of earned media.
- Produce Supporting Printed Materials – To support the campaign LMC produced campaign stickers that were distributed to vaccine sites across the state to help create awareness of the campaign.
- Implement a Strategically Targeted Paid Media Plan – LMC utilized various media outlets statewide to promote the awareness campaign and increase the intent to get vaccinated. We blanketed the state in terms of saturation, with particular placement of digital and more traditional forms of media using broadband access as a guide.
How did we do? Take a look for yourself.
Here are some pretty cool statistics we gathered:
- A toolkit was created with over 70 campaign deliverables and then made available on the campaign’s landing page to give health care providers materials to supplement the campaign.
- With a population of approximately 1.7 million West Virginians, our campaign total paid media impressions totaled 9,578,195.
- In addition to those paid media impressions, we were able to get 1,153,568 impressions on campaign Facebook ads.
- 14,618 campaign post engagements and clicks were obtained.
While the numbers speak for themselves, the opportunity to strengthen our partnership with CRHD was also rewarding… and not to mention the opportunity to combat a public health challenge and improve the health of our fellow West Virginians. Really – it’s just all in a day’s work here at LMC!
If you’ve got a challenge, reach out to us. LMC provides custom solutions for better results for your business, so let’s talk!